Five foods you should never feed your dog

Five foods you should never feed your dog

Dog Foods you should never feed

Five foods you should never feed your dog

The differences between human and dog food are very apparent, especially when it comes to what you should and shouldn’t be feeding your pup. Some foods are fine to feed them as an occasional treat, but many can be toxic and even fatal if eaten regularly or in large quantities. Here are five foods you should never feed your dog

List of foods you should never feed to your dog


The most obvious is chocolate. While you may think of chocolate as a sweet treat, it is actually a toxic substance to dogs, who cannot properly metabolize caffeine or oxalates in cocoa beans. If your pup gets into the pantry and eats chocolate—whether milk, dark or semi-sweet—the result can be disastrous for his health. Chocolate can lead to an overdose of caffeine and cause an irregular heart rhythm or even death.

Onion and Garlic

Both of these foods contain ingredients that can be toxic to dogs. Both onions and garlic also contain thiosulphate, which can trigger a condition called hemolytic anemia in dogs. This type of anemia isn’t common but is potentially dangerous. The condition causes a complete breakdown of red blood cells and can lead to death if not treated quickly.


No matter how much your pooch loves chewing on sugar-free gum, don’t give it to him. Xylitol, a sugar alcohol found in many sugar-free products—and some of their substitutes, like flour—can be deadly for dogs. If a large amount of xylitol is ingested, dogs can experience vomiting and lethargy within 15 minutes. Without immediate medical attention, they could go into shock and die from liver failure or brain damage.

Alcoholic Drinks

While dogs might like a sip of beer or a shot of whiskey, these alcoholic drinks have been known to make some animals violently ill. If they drink too much, they can even suffer seizures and alcohol poisoning. It’s best to keep all types of alcohol away from pets. The good news is that it doesn’t take much for them to become intoxicated; for example, only about 20 minutes after ingestion, a 10-pound poodle would be at risk for alcohol poisoning.


While it’s true that humans can consume small amounts of caffeine safely, dogs are much more sensitive to its effects. Even small amounts of coffee or tea can induce vomiting and diarrhea in pets. Furthermore, chocolate and any products containing xylitol—an artificial sweetener used in sugar-free gum and some peanut kinds of butter—can be poisonous to dogs. You’re better off keeping these dangerous items far from Fido.

Kangal Dogs Food Shop online unbiased dog food reviews and ratings searchable by brand or star rating. Find the best dry, canned or raw food for your dog.